Monday, June 29, 2009

My crappy (literally) weekend

This is going to be REALLY long! Sorry!

I had a very busy, stressful weekend. Saturday, we got up at 7am to hit up the yard sales. My sister, Liz, who is pregnant with twin girls wanted to hunt for baby girl stuff. The girls and I tagged along just in case we found something we wanted. We went to 10-15 sales and didn't get done until 11 ish. I didn't find anything but Liz found one sale that the people had twin girls. They had TONS of Baby Gap, Ralph Lauren, and Old Navy matching girls outfits! They were so adorable and in perfect condition. She also found a portable swing that she can keep for them in her vehicle or at Memaws house.

We had lunch, and then went to the mall (which is about 40 minutes away). The girls were fighting the whole time, cranky, and didn't feel like shopping. Carlie was being negative about everything. She hated any shirt or pants that I picked up for her to get her opinion about. Jacelyn didn't want to stay in her stroller. They whined and cried for ice cream, candy, gumballs, drinks, and pretty much anything they saw that they wanted and knew I wouldn't let them have because of their behavior. I ended up finding quite a few things on sale at GAP for the girls. We stopped by Rick's work on the way back to get my fold up chairs out of my trunk (he had my car) and then to Sonic to get root beer floats. Jacelyn flung ice cream ALL OVER the seats in my sisters truck and all over herself.

We FINALLY got back home in time to rest for a few minutes before heading to the lake for the firework show. We picked up dinner on our way to the lake. We got there, walked 1700 miles from where we had to park to where we were sitting. Then Jacelyn lets me and everyone else out there know that she has to pee. We walk the mile to the bathroom. She decides she doesn't need to go because the toilets are silver and metal (she has a weird phobia of toilets that are any color except white or beige). She says that she doesn't have to go anymore. I was frustrated that we had just walked that whole way for no reason so I storm out of the bathroom with her and twist my ankle on the way. Of course I do, that's not surprising considering how my day had been so far. We go and sit back down and Carlie starts whining about wanting to swim in the lake. I wasn't thinking clearly and dressed the girls in brand new dresses to go watch the fireworks. Not thinking that there would be sand and water there also. So I let the girls walk in the shallow end of the lake. I'm watching from the side because it hurt my newly twisted ankle to walk on the sand. I let them play for about 20 minutes and then I'm ready to go back and sit down. I called to them about 5 times and they completely ignored me. There were TONS of people watching all around me. I could tell that they were waiting to see what I would do next. Was I going to let them keep ignoring me or was I going to march out there and grab them up? I decided to march out there and grab them out of the water. On our way back to our chairs, there was a HUGE mud puddle just a few feet from the edge of the lake. Carlie tried stepping in it and I asked her not to. What does she do? Walks right through it. It was like quicksand and her feet got stuck. Her flip flops were lost under all of the water and mud. I was MAAAAAADDD at this point. I kicked my sandals off and went diving trying to find her flip flops. I found one, threw it to her, and kept digging for the second one. Then I hear her say "What are you doing mom?" I glared at her and then I realized she was asking because she had both shoes on. I guess she had only lost one. As I'm starting to calm down a little, I realize that this "mud puddle" stinks. THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S SEWAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ewwwwwwww gross I know! I guess from the hundreds of people there, they had a sewage back up and it was draining into this puddle. I wanted to vomit! Now, I'm not 100% sure that's what it was, but it smelled and it was right at the foot of a really long ditch that had cement over it, like it was protecting pipes. I'm pretty sure that it was the sewage line from the bathrooms. All of those people that were watching me yell at my kids to get out of the water, were now watching me dig in waste. I bet they were cracking up. I grabbed my shoes and headed to our chairs. Oh, and did I mention the high for that day was about 100??? I was hot, and mad, and hot, and mad. Jacelyn then said she needed to try and potty again so Liz took her to the porta potties instead of the bathrooms. I told Carlie to go get back in the lake to rinse her feet and shoes off. Jacelyn still wouldn't potty, which frustrated me more because I knew if she didn't go soon, she would pee on herself. We had already been there an hour and a half. We ended up moving our chairs closer to the back of the crowd so we could make a quick exit when the show was over. It was also closer to the porta potty and to the orchestra that was playing, which was amazing BTW. After it was dark, before the firework show started, I walked Jacelyn to the fattest tree I could find where no one could see and had her squat down and pee. That child would pee on the ground behind a tree, but not in a bathroom because the toilet was silver and metal?? We sat back down and then she proceeded to tell me that she now has to poop! AAGG! I told her she would have to wait until we got home! Then the fireworks started. They were beautiful and amazing and exactly what I needed to take my mind off of the day. We got home around 11pm. We all took showers and went to bed.

Sunday, we cooked out at our house with my MIL and SIL. It would have been great except the fact that Rick didn't tell me that he invited them over until almost midnight Saturday night. My house was a wreck b/c I hadn't been home all weekend to clean it and I knew I wouldn't feel up to it the next day after the day I just had. It ended up not being that bad, until I stabbed my thumb with a steak knife and bled all over the place.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Aw, Lara!!!! I am sooo sorry! Girl, I feel your pain and that is what made this such a funny post to read! It is always so good to know that other people have days like that too. When you know you are not the only one it helps you get through those times. You definitely had a day to remember! I can't believe all the craziness. I get so angry at the kids when they act like that too. Ugh! I'm glad the day ended well. Sorry about you twisting your ankle and stabbing yourself though. Hope you heal and feel better soon! That is also too funny about Jacelyn not peeing in a metal potty. It's always something with this age, isn't it?

Kara said...

OMG! I am so sorry! (HUGS)

Kaycee said...

Geeze Louise and I thought my festival was a bummer. I'm so sorry you had such a rough weekend. Blah! That made me anxious just reading it. LOL!

If your sister needs any more clothes, I still have mine to sell. They don't match though..so I guess that wouldn't work.