Monday, September 22, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

I was handed a gallon sized bag of a bunch of cream colored goo and told that it was Amish Friendship Bread. Apparently, I am supposed to mash the bag for 4 days, then add sugar, flour, and milk. Mash for 3 more days. Then on the 10th day, I'm supposed to add a ton of ingredients and then pour a cup of this stuff into 4 other gallon sized baggies to hand out to friends to start the process all over again. I am supposed to pour the remaining goo into a loaf pan and make a bread with it. I think there will even be another "starter kit" leftover for me to keep going if I woudl like. This would mean I would have to make one every 10 days. I don't know if I could handle that responsibility. I don't think I've ever heard of doing this. I guess it's sort of like a chain letter, except with food. I did some research on it and found that it has absolutely nothing to do with Amish people BTW....I'll let ya'll know how it turns out NEXT Tuesday.
Edited to add a picture!!!

6 comments:

Fullerton Family said...

I got one of those, too. Let me tell you, it is SO good!! More like cake than bread. Yum!

Lara said...

Have you ever put raisins in it? My directions say that you can add them if you would like.

Fullerton Family said...

Ew, no. I hate raisins. So they stay faarrr away from whatever I cook! But if you do like them, I bet it would taste good... (my aunt, who gave my the bread) said that sometimes she puts in chocolate chips or butterscotch chips... that sounds good, too!)

Donna/Ellie said...

Wow I've never heard of that! Good luck - I can barely manage baby socks chain letters...

-Bridget said...

I've heard of this. I've heard its a lot of work. Let us know how it turns out and if it's worth the effort.

Fullerton Family said...

Oh, and I must fess up. I only completed one 10 day cycle. It is a lot of work. But don't tell my aunt!