Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Vote Kris Allen for American Idol!!!

Kris and his wife Katy


I know that everyone is sick and tired of American Idol. I was until this year when one of the top contenders turned out to be from my small home town! Kris goes to the same church as my boss and our receptionist. He is SUCH a great guy. I think sometimes on the show it seems like it's just an act but he really is genuinely caring and longs to help people. Kris leads worship at his church and on campus at University of Central Arkansas with Chi Alpha Campus Ministries. He has traveled on mission trips to Spain, Morocco, Thailand, Burma, Mozambique and South Africa. He can sing pretty much any genre and can play several instruments including guitar, piano, viola, and ukulele. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him but from what I have heard from people who know him, he's the most nicest, humble, caring, giving, deserving guy ever. He is someone that any child would be able to look up to and want to be like. He is a great role model. If you don't already have a favorite to win, please vote for Kris. He is totally deserving of the title "American Idol".
Here is a story that someone from his church wrote about him from a mission trip to Thailand:
"We heard a story about Kris that we felt we just had to share. As some of you may know, Kris has been on mission trips across the world to Spain, Morocco, South Africa, Mozambique, Burma, and Thailand. While the most predominant story that has circulated on the internet has been Kris’s near death experience in Morocco when he fell gravely ill, this story is heart-warming and telling of Kris’s character. Please circulate this to your friends and family.Before traveling to Thailand, Kris decided that he wanted to bring along his new $700 guitar, a beautiful Takamine, that his parents had recently given him. Of course, Kris’s parents thought he should leave his prized-possession at home and go without this guitar. Promising to keep it safe, Kris chose to take the Takamine.During his trip across Southeast Asia, Kris managed to transport the guitar unharmed. But one day, Kris attended a worship service at a large refugee camp in Thailand. There was a local girl leading worship playing a guitar, though her guitar wasn’t compatible with the plug for the amps and most of the crowd had difficulty hearing. Without complete knowledge of why or what he was doing, Kris began to cry; and, feeling moved to act, he approached the stage and the girl. He laid down his guitar and plugged in his new, expensive guitar into the amp and walked away. Kris later called his parents, worried that they would be upset with him for having given away his new Takiname guitar. But, of course, the Allens were simply moved by Kris’s gesture and proud of the man they had raised. Now, on American Idol, Kris has received many free gifts from clothing designers and from the show, but none of which are more meaningful than a number of new, Takamine guitars."
The story was confirmed and looked over for validation by his campus minister who was also at the mission trip. He said: "The guitar that they had at the Karen refugee camp outside of Mae Sot Thailand was missing pegs and I think it only had 4 strings. Also, they were unable to tune it. Definitely a great story that speaks to Kris' character."

3 comments:

Kaycee said...

I Love him! I think he is really great.
I agree with you about being sick of AI. I really didn't even want to watch this year, but I think it's the most talented group they've had.

Janet said...

I love him too! He has been my favorite since the beginning when you said he was from your hometown. I really hope he makes it, but I have a feeling that America probably won't vote him in. I guess we'll see!

Mel said...

I want Kris to win so bad! Love him!