Friday, August 1, 2008

Reuniting with a long lost love...

Carlie has been in Kindergarten camp all week. She is loving it BTW. I think Kindergarten is going to be so great for her. Today was the last day. To celebrate the end to a great week, they had a cookout. One of the local banks came and cooked hot dogs and we had chips, cokes, and popsicles to go along. I was the second parent to arrive so I just sat on a bench by the play equipment where all of the children were playing. Carlie eventually saw me and came running. While I was asking about her day, I saw this little boy looking at me. I looked at him for a minute and then I thought he looked a little familiar. I looked down at his name tag and at that second, I realized who he was. He was Carlie's long lost love, Landon! They had been in daycare together when they were 2-3. They were the best of friends and talked non stop about each other. They only played with each other and rarely let someone else in on their fun. He taught her how to be a baseball umpire and they always said they would get married. We moved too far away to attend that daycare so Carlie was switched to a new school. He was the only thing I was sad about losing from that school. I got a call one day a few weeks after we moved that Carlie had been invited to his birthday party. She was the only non family member invited. We lost touch after that so it's been about 2-3 years since they've seen each other. While Landon was looking at me, I asked him if he remembered Carlie and sure enough, he did. I asked Carlie if she knew who he was and she said yes. Mind you, they were about 2 or 3 the last time they laid eyes on each other. His mom came walking up right about this time and she said "I thought that was ya'll!". She said that when the teacher called Carlie's first and last name, Landon looked at her and said "Is that MY Carlie?!?!?!". She said that she wasn't sure but it looked like her. We got to talking and it turns out that he is riding the same after school van and they are going to the same after school program even though they won't be in the same classroom. I just thought that was SUCH a sweet thing! They both still talk about each other after so long and then they end up at the same school together! (There are about 10 elementary schools in my town). Him and his mom ended up eating with us and they both played and talked together like they hadn't ever lost touch.

2 comments:

Jenny/Moravia said...

Lara - That is just the cutest thing I've read. Watch out you'll be planning a wedding before you know it ;)

Janet said...

Aw, that is so sweet Lara! How great that they are at the same school and that they remember each other! I bet it will be fun for her to see a familiar face on the playground or in other activities. Are you pleased with the teacher Carlie was assigned to?